Introduction of Country Risk Analysis Summer School
The eighth edition of my Country Risk Analysis Summer School at Maastricht University is scheduled for 6 until 17 July 2020. As its sub-title suggests, it focuses on the macro-economic and political risk drivers of Emerging Markets.
You can read more about the course content, course objectives and recommended literature below. This page also offers you the preliminary timetable that may be subject to change later.
Student reviews of Country Risk Analysis Summer School
“I had the opportunity to debate and dialogue with different students from around the globe and contrast our experiences. Leonhardt was very committed to every single one of his students making sure that we had the adequate material to do our research.” – Veronica from Peru
“I learned a lot about country risk and the different drivers during the course. Leonhardt has a unique approach to get the attention of all the participants since he manages to respond to different needs and interests.” Roman from Switzerland
“Leonhardt’s lectures were clear, the activities built upon each other and the lectures to reinforce the subjects covered, and the writing assignments gave students the tools they needed to conduct country risk in future jobs.” Kerry from United States
Quotes taken from LinkedIn recommendations
Description of Country Risk Analysis Summer School
Rising political risks, recent calls for protectionism and warnings of a global recession underline the relevance of country risk analysis. This course teaches you the skills to study country risks in Emerging Markets from both an economic and political perspective. What kind of research framework do banks use to assess country risk, and which concepts are pivotal in this regard? What are important macro-economic and political risk drivers for Emerging Markets? How can these risk drivers affect country risk, and do they have critical values? To answer these questions, interactive lectures teach you the skills to work with country risk concepts, analyze country risk drivers and write a country risk report. You do assignments in which you collect open source data for the risk drivers of two Emerging Markets. Other assignments concern the writing of the economic and political risk sections of a country risk report. Finally, two workshops help you to use the “Country Risk Canvas” to visualize the causality between macro-economic risk drivers, political risk drivers and country risk.
Goals of Country Risk Analysis Summer School
- Designing an analytical framework to identify macro-economic risk drivers in Emerging Markets.
- Designing an analytical framework to identify political risk drivers in Emerging Markets, and their impact on consumption, investment and exports.
- Comparing the country risks and underlying risk drivers of different Emerging Markets.
- Finding, selecting and interpreting open-source data.
- Boosting your employability by acquiring valuable skills required for positions in business, government and academia.
Timetable of Country Risk Analysis Summer School
6-17 July 2020; *1 = first week; *2 = second week; Timetable may be subject to change, pending sufficient applications; Session Types: (IL) Interactive Lecture; (RD) Roundtable Discussion; (SP) Student Presentations; (WS) Workshop
|Day||Start Time||End Time||Title||Type|
|Monday *1||9:00||10:00||1. Introduction of Convenor, Participants and Program||RD|
|10:00||11:00||2. Your Assignments||RD|
|11:00||12:00||3. Country Risk Analysis: Concepts, Definitions and Approaches||IL|
|12:00||13:00||4. Working with Open Source Data||WS|
|14:00||16:00||5. Macro-Economic Risk Drivers 1: Domestic Economy||IL|
|Tuesday *1||(Working on Your Assignment)||–|
|Wednesday *1||9:00||10:00||6. Macro-Economic Risk Drivers of Emerging Markets (Domestic Economy)||SP|
|10:00||11:00||7. Country Risk Quiz||WS|
|11:00||13:00||8. Macro-Economic Risk Drivers 2: International Economy||IL|
|Thursday *1||(Working on Your Assignment)||–|
|Friday *1||9:00||10:00||9. Macro-Economic Risk Drivers of Emerging Markets (International Economy)||SP|
|10:00||12:00||10. Working with the Country Risk Canvas 1: Macro-Economic Risk Drivers||WS|
|12:00||13:00||11. Writing a Country Risk Report||IL|
|Day||Start Time||End Time||Type|
|Monday *2||14:00||15:00||12. Political Risk Analysis: Concepts, Definitions and Approaches||IL|
|15:00||16:00||13. Political Risk Drivers 1: Domestic Situation||IL|
|16:00||17:00||14. Political Risk Drivers 2: International Relations||IL|
|Tuesday *2||(Working on Your Assignment)||–|
|Wednesday *2||14:00||16:00||15. Political Risk Drivers of Emerging Markets||SP|
|16:00||17:00||16. Working with the Country Risk Canvas 2: Political Risk Drivers||WS|
|Thursday *2||(Working on Your Assignment)||–|
|Friday *2||14:00||17:00||17. Country Risk Reports about Emerging Markets||SP|
|17:00||18:00||18. Key Takeaways and Future Plans||RD|
Suggested literature for Country Risk Analysis Summer School
Dr Leonhardt van Efferink has based this course on publications in various languages (see overview below for some examples). You are not required to do pre-course reading. However, if you would like to do so, you are advised to select one of the publications below. You can also contact Leonhardt for tailor-made reading advice.
- Iranzo, S. (2008) Delving into Country Risk. Banco de España, Occasional Paper No. 0802
- McKellar, R. (2010) A Short Guide to Political Risk. Gower;
- Van Efferink, L., Kool, C. and Van Veen, T. (2003) Country Risk Analysis. NIBE-SVV.
- Van Efferink, L. (2015) Our Framework of Country Risk Indicators.
- Van Efferink, L. (2014) How do you select Country Risk Indicators?
- Van Efferink, L. (2015) Our Framework of Country Risk Indicators.
- Van Efferink, L. (2015) Our Framework of Country Risk Concepts.
- Van Efferink, L. (2015) How do you find Country Risk Data?
- Van Efferink, L. (2018) Our Template for Country Risk Reports.
- Verhulst, G. (2017) A Flexible Tool for Impact Assessment of Political Risk Indicators.
Keywords for Country Risk Analysis Summer School
▪ Country Risk Research ▪ Country Risk Reports ▪ Country Risk Ratings ▪ Country Risk Models ▪ Country Risk Indicators ▪ Country Risk Concepts ▪ Macro-Economic Risk Drivers ▪ Political Risk Drivers ▪ Political Risk Analysis ▪ Political Risk Concepts ▪ Emerging Markets ▪ Open Source Data ▪ Analytical Skills ▪ Critical Thinking ▪ Employability
Country Risk Analysis Summer School (Macro-Economic and Political Risk Drivers of Emerging Markets)
In-House Skills Training Session about Country Risk Analysis (Macro-Economic and Political Risk Drivers of Emerging Markets)
Would you like to know how I can turn this Country Risk Analysis Summer School to an in-house skills training session that is tailor made for your organization? Then contact me to explore your options.