Introduction of Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School
The seventh edition of my Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School at Maastricht University is scheduled for 20 until 24 July 2020. As its sub-title suggests, it focuses on China’s global power, nationalism in Europe and Africa’s natural resources.
You can read more about the course content, course objectives and recommended literature below. This page also offers you the preliminary timetable that may be subject to change later.
Student reviews of Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School
“One of Leonhardt’s most remarkable skills as university lecturer is his perceptive understanding of different views as well as the formulation of challenging questions.” – Juan from Argentina
“Because of Leonhardt’s passionate lectures on national identity, power and security and his ability to get best out of his students, the summer school was a big succes!” – Jeffrey from the United States
“Leonhardt was very helpful. He made a point to answer all our questions and concerns. A tip for future students: ask questions! There are no stupid questions! Leonhardt is kind enough to give you as much time as you need!!” – Maguy from Lebanon
Quotes taken from LinkedIn recommendations
Description of Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School
The world seems to change faster than ever, raising important geopolitical questions. For example, how does China’s Belt and Road Initiative change the power relations between China and other states? How does nationalism influence the coherence of the European Union and the geopolitical position of Europe’s countries such as Hungary, Russia and the United Kingdom? And how do conflicts over natural resources such as hydrocarbons, rare metals and fresh water affect the international relations of African states?
To answer these questions, this Summer School offers you interactive lectures about three influential geopolitical approaches. In these lectures, the differences between geopolitics, geostrategy and geo-economics are discussed as well. Another lecture explains key geopolitical concepts such as nation-state, national identity and national power. You will also be taught methods to assess national power, analyze geopolitical frames and conduct a geopolitical study of natural resources.
To apply freshly acquired skills, you do a few group assignments and one individual assignment about geopolitical trends of your choice.
Goals of Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School
- Becoming familiar with different approaches to geopolitics, geo-economics and geostrategy.
- Learning to work with geopolitical concepts such as nation-state, national identity and national power.
- Designing a framework to bring order in the complexity of geopolitical trends.
- Developing your critical thinking to put claims about geopolitics in a better perspective.
- Boosting your employability by acquiring valuable skills required for positions in business, government and academia.
Timetable of Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School
20-24 July 2020; Timetable may be subject to change, pending sufficient applications; Session Types: (IL) Interactive Lecture; (RD) Roundtable Discussion; (SP) Student Presentations; (WS) Workshop
|Day||Start Time||End Time||Title||Type|
|Monday||9:00||10:00||1. Introduction of Convenor, Participants and Program||RD|
|10:00||11:00||2. Geopolitical Concepts: Nation-State, National Identity and National Power||IL|
|11:00||12:00||3. Realist Perspectives on Geopolitics, Geostrategy and Geo-Economics||IL|
|12:00||13:00||4. Measuring National Power: Approaches and (Im)Possibilities||IL|
|14:00||16:00||5. How Powerful is China with its Belt and Road Initiative?||WS|
|Tuesday||9:00||10:00||6. Critical Perspectives on Geopolitics, Geostrategy and Geo-Economics||IL|
|10:00||11:00||7. Geopolitical Framing Analysis||IL|
|11:00||13:00||8. What are the Identities of Europe and European states?||WS|
|Wednesday||9:00||10:00||9. French Perspectives on Geopolitics, Geostrategy and Geo-Economics||IL|
|10:00||11:00||10. Geopolitics of Natural Resources||IL|
|11:00||13:00||11. Who are the Winners in the Rivalry over Africa’s Natural Resources?||WS|
|Thursday||(Working on Your Assignment)||–|
|Friday||9:00||12:00||12. Analysis of Geopolitical Trends in the 21st Century||SP|
|12:00||13:00||13. Key Takeaways and Future Plans||RD|
Suggested literature for Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School
Dr Leonhardt van Efferink has based this course on publications in various languages (see overview below for some examples). You are not required to do pre-course reading. However, if you would like to do so, you are advised to select one of the publications below. You can also contact Leonhardt for tailor-made reading advice.
- Baldwin, D. (2016) Power and International Relations. A Conceptual Approach.
- Carmody, P. (2016, 2nd ed.) The New Scramble for Africa.
- Cattaruzza, A. (2019) Introduction à la Géopolitique.
- Flint, C. (2017, 3rd ed.) Introduction to Geopolitics.
- Guibernau, M. (2007) The Identity of Nations.
- Kingsley, E. S. Rosen and Y. Zhu (eds., 2019). Soft Power With Chinese Characteristics. China’s Campaign for Hearts and Minds.
- Klare, M. (2002). Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict.
- Lasserre. F. and E. Gonon (2016, 3rd ed.) Manuel de Géopolitique. Enjeux de Pouvoir sur des Territoires.
- Moyo, D. (2012) Winner Take All: China’s Race For Resources and What It Means For Us.
- Smith, M.A. (2012) Power in the Changing Global Order.
Keywords for Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School
Geopolitics ▪ Geo-Economics ▪ Geostrategy ▪ China ▪ Europe ▪ Africa ▪ National Power ▪ Global Power ▪ World Order ▪ National Identity ▪ Nationalism ▪ Natural Resources ▪ Analytical Skills ▪ Critical Thinking ▪ Employability
In-House Skills Training Session about Geopolitical Trends Analysis (China’s Global Power, Nationalism in Europe and Africa’s Natural Resources)
Would you like to know how I can turn this Geopolitical Trends Analysis Summer School to an in-house skills training session that is tailor made for your organization? Then contact me to explore your options.